Health Encyclopedia

Mushroom Poisoning in Children

Facts about poisonous mushrooms

There are thousands of varieties of mushrooms in North America, but very few are poisonous and can be dangerous if eaten. But, unless you are an expert at identifying mushrooms, it is difficult to tell a poisonous mushroom from one that is not poisonous. Children are often victims of mushroom poisoning.

What are the symptoms of mushroom poisoning?

Common early symptoms can include feeling sick, stomach cramps, vomiting, and watery or bloody diarrhea. If your child has any of these symptoms, call your child's doctor immediately.

What should you do if your child has eaten a wild mushroom?

Call your child's health care provider, the local poison control center, or the hospital emergency room immediately. They will ask you questions about your child and give you appropriate instructions.

If able, collect the mushroom your child was eating. Carefully dig up a few mushrooms, complete with underground parts to help with the identification. If there is more than one kind of mushroom around your child, collect all of the different kinds. If you are told to go to the ER, bring the mushrooms you have collected. 

How are children treated for mushroom poisoning?

The health care provider will check your child's vital signs and watch them closely for a period of time, looking for severe symptoms and complications of mushroom poisoning. The health care provider may also talk with a mushroom expert to help figure out what type of mushroom your child ate. 



Medical Reviewers:

  • Dozier, Tennille, RN, BSN, RDMS
  • newMentor board-certified, academically affiliated clinician