Medication Compounding: Meeting Unique Medication Needs
- University of Rochester Medical Center pharmacists compound medications to meet unique medication needs. Large drug companies mass-produce medications that don't meet every individual need.
- Often, medications are no longer produced by the manufacturer
- Some drugs are available in limited strengths and dosages
- Many medications are expensive
- Some patients are allergic to commonly used fillers, dyes, binders, and other additives.
For all these problems.....medication compounding is the solution.
Medication compounding allows our pharmacists to customize the strength and dosage of a medication to meet your individual needs. Compounding may involve changing a medication from a pill into a penetrating skin cream, adding flavors, or preparing a dye-free or preservative-free medication.
How Do Pharmacists Compound Medications?
Our pharmacists start with pure bulk chemicals and use new technology and devices to prepare almost any prescription. Our pharmacies have both the ingredients and the expertise to combine chemicals into any dosage and medication form desired. In addition, we offer medication counseling for patients so that they know how to use their medication properly. Ask us how compounded medications can help you.
Compounded medications include:
|Compounded Medications at URMC|
|Suspensions, Solutions||Creams, Gels||Ointments, Lotions|
|Homeopathic Formulations||Pain Formulations||Anti-nausea Formulations|
|Inhalation (nebulizer) Medications||Lip Balms, Medicated Lollipops, Medicated Lozenges||Eye and Eardrops|
|Anti-viral, Anesthetics||Nasal Sprays lidocaine D.H.E.||Natural Hormones|
|Otic Preparations||Pediatric Formulations and Flavors||Physical Therapy Formulations|
|Ultrasound Gels||Podiatric Formulations||Hospice Formulations|
Strong Memorial Hospital Outpatient Pharmacy
Highland South Wedge Pharmacy
Strong Ties Outpatient Pharmacy
Infectious Disease Clinic Pharmacy
URMC Employee Pharmacy
URMC Specialty Pharmacy
(585) 273-4767 Or (855) 340-4767
Highland Pharmacy at Jordan Health Center
James P. Wilmot Cancer Center Pharmacy
Investigational Drug Studies
- Learn more about your medication
- How much is your co-pay if you are insured by Blue Choice or Medicaid? Find out.
- Find neighborhood pharmacies offering 24-hour prescription service