Avoiding Hearing Loss
If you don't have a hearing problem, taking the following steps may help reduce your chances of developing one. And if you already have presbycusis, following these guidelines may help you keep the problem from getting worse.
- Avoid loud or prolonged exposure to noise.
- When you can't avoid noise, wear ear protection.
- If your ears produce excessive earwax, have your ears cleaned periodically by a health care professional. (Do not use cotton swabs, as you will lodge more earwax even deeper into the ear canal than the small amount of wax you will remove.)
- Avoid ototoxic drugs. If you're taking one already, talk with your doctor and see if there's a less-ototoxic alternative.
- Stay healthy and be mindful of risk factors, such as hypertension.