Peter Salzman, PhDAssistant Professor of Biostatistics and Computational Biology
Ph.D. (2004) Stanford University
- University of Rochester
Dept of Biostatistics and Computational Biology
601 Elmwood Avenue Box 630
Rochester, New York 14642
Office: Saunders Research Building 4227
Phone: (585) 275-0586
Fax: (585) 273-1031
I work on development and application of statistical methods to large datasets. I'm interested in model selection, network models and complex computational algorithms.
The main application of these methods is for gene network reconstruction. The goal of network reconstruction is better understanding of cell function. Possible application include cancer biology and genetic markers discovery. The research questions we address arise from current research in biology, in particular from our collaboration with basic scientists.
Our modeling efforts have focused on Bayesian Network (BN) models. BN is a graphical representation of joint distribution of its nodes, and includes the topology (which gene regulates which genes) and the probabilistic description of the interactions. The most popular models of interactions include probabilistic Boolean functions and Gaussian networks. Different graphs represent different statistical models and our goal is to select the 'correct' one. Part of our research effort is related to evaluation of model selection techniques and their use in gene expression analysis. The network models are useful to test for differences between classes or for classification. We develop statically rigorous algorithms that address these issues.
I am also involved in number of collaborative projects with researchers within the URMC.
- Chia, Y.L., Salzman, P., Glynn, P.W., Plevritis, S.K. Simulation-based parameter estimation for complex models: A breast cancer natural history model example. Statistical Methods in Medical Research, 2004; 13(6):507-524. PMID: 15587436 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Almudevar, A. and Salzman, P. (2005) Using a Bayesian posterior density in the design of perturbation experiments for network reconstruction. Proceedings of IEEE Symposium on Computational Intelligence and Bioinformatics and Computational Biology (CIBCB), 2005.
- Plevritis, S.K., Sigal, B.M., Salzman, P., Glynn, P.W. and Rosenberg, J. Chapter 12: A Stochastic Simulation Model of U.S. Breast Cancer Mortality Trends from 1975 to 2000 Journal of the National Cancer Institute Monographs. 2006, 2006(36):86-95.
- Almudevar, A, Klebanov, LB, Qiu, X, Salzman, P and Yakovlev, AY Utility of Correlation Measures in Analysis of Gene Expression, NeuroRX, 2006; 3(3):384-395. PMID: 16815221 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Salzman, P. and Almudevar, A. Using complexity for estimation of Bayesian networks, Statistical Applications in Genetics and Molecular Biology, 2006; 5(1), Article 21. http://www.bepress.com/sagmb/vol5/iss1/art21
- Plevritis, S.K., Salzman, P., Sigal, B.M., Glynn, P.W. A natural history model of stage progression applied of breast cancer. Statistics in Medicine 2007; 26(3):581-595. PMID: 16598706 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Klebanov, L., Glazko, G., Salzman, P., Xiao, Y. and Yakovlev, A. A multivariate extension of the gene set enrichment analysis. Journal of Bioinformatics and Computational Biology. 2007; 5(5):1139-1153. PMID: 17933015 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Gordon, A.Y. and Salzman, P. Optimality of the Holm procedure among general step-down multiple testing procedures. Statistics & Probability Letters, 2008; 78(13):1878-1884, PMCID: PMC2583789. NIHMSID: NIHMS69192
- McMurray, H.R., Sampson, E.R., Compitello, G., Kinsey, C., Newman, L., Smith, B., Chen S-R, Klebanov, L., Salzman, P., Yakovlev, A. and Land, H. Synergistic response to oncogenic mutations defines gene class critical to cancer. Nature, 2008; 453(7198):1112-1116, PMCID: PMC2613942.
- Moalem, J., Salzman, P., Ruan, D.T., Cherr, G.S., Freiburg, C.B., Farkas, R.L., Brewster, L. and James, T.A. Should all duty hours be the same? Results of a national survey of surgical trainees, Journal of the American College of Surgeons, 2009; 209(1):47-54.e2. DOI: 10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2009.02.053.
- Salzman, R., Pacal, L., Tomandl, J., Kankova, K., Tothova, E., Gal, B., Kostrica, R. and Salzman, P. Elevated Malondialdehyde Correlates with the Extent of Primary Tumor and Predicts Poor Prognosis of Oropharyngeal Cancer. Anticancer Research, 2009; 29(10):4227-4231. PMID: 19846978 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Zhang, K., Yin, L., Zhang, M., Parker, M.D., Binder, H.J., Salzman, P., Zhang, L., Okunieff, P., Vidyasagar, S. Radiation Decreases Murine Small Intestinal HCO3 - Secretion. International Journal of Radiation Biology, 2011; 87(8):878-888. PMID: 21689053 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Zhang, N., Yin, L., Zhang, K., Sun, W., Yang, S., Zhang, B., Salzman, P., Wang, W., Liu, C., Vidyasagar, S., Zhang, L., Ju, S., Okunieff, P., Zhang, L. Response patterns of cytokines/chemokines in two murine strains after irradiation. Cytokine, 2012; 58(2):169-177. PMID: 22277799 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]