Community Health Improvement
Improving your health is based on knowledge, and knowledge is power. Throughout the community and the University of Rochester Medical Center there are a wide variety of both free and fee-for-service programs that provide wellness and preventative services in a number of locations throughout Monroe County and beyond.
Please browse listings of preventative and educational resources and health programs that the University of Rochester Medical Center is actively involved in.
ChooseMyPlate.gov has replaced the Food Pyramid as a simpler means to help individuals and families decide on healthier meal choices. It features selected messages to focus consumers on key behaviors. Messages include:
- Enjoy your food, but eat less.
- Avoid oversized portions.
- Make half your plate fruits and vegetables.
- Switch to fat-free or low-fat (1%) milk.
- Make at least half your grains whole grains.
- Compare sodium in foods like soup, bread, and frozen meals — and choose foods with lower numbers.
- Drink water instead of sugary drinks.
Visit ChooseMyPlate.gov for more information.