Community Health Improvement
Improving your health is based on knowledge, and knowledge is power. Throughout the community and the University of Rochester Medical Center there are a wide variety of both free and fee-for-service programs that provide wellness and preventative services in a number of locations throughout Monroe County and beyond.
ChooseMyPlate.gov has replaced the Food Pyramid as a simpler means to help individuals and families decide on healthier meal choices. It features selected messages to focus consumers on key behaviors. Messages include:
- Enjoy your food, but eat less.
- Avoid oversized portions.
- Make half your plate fruits and vegetables.
- Switch to fat-free or low-fat (1%) milk.
- Make at least half your grains whole grains.
- Compare sodium in foods like soup, bread, and frozen meals — and choose foods with lower numbers.
- Drink water instead of sugary drinks.
Visit ChooseMyPlate.gov for more information.