Haodong Xu, M.D., Ph.D.
|Professor - Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine - Primary
|Professor - Department of Medicine, Aab Cardiovascular Research Institute|
|1993 | PhD | Cardiac Physiology | Soochow University Medical School|
|1990 | MS | Circulation Physiology | Soochow University Medical School|
|1987 | MD | Medicine | Soochow University Medical School|
Arrhythmias remain a major health problem, causing at least 250,000 deaths annually in the United States. Dr. Xu's long term goal is to elucidate molecular signaling pathways involving the development of cardiac arrhythmias so that therapeutic targets for treatment and/or prevention can be identified. It has been shown that p90 ribosomal S6 kinase (p90RSK) activity is significantly increased in different types of cardiac diseases, in which QT-interval is prolonged, increasing the frequency of cardiac arrhythmia. In his lab, he has been exploiting a sophisticated combination of biochemical, electrophysiological and molecular techniques to define the molecular mechanism by which activation of p90RSK prolongs cardiac repolarization.
This mechanism would potentially predispose to arrhythmias via phosphorylating Kv4.3 alpha subunit, one main component of transient outward K+ current (Ito,f) channel and thus inhibiting this channel activity. Ongoing interests include studies focused on defining the functional roles of two delayed rectifier K+ currents, IKr and IKs modulation by p90RSK in the development of cardiac arrhythmias in diabetic cardiomyopathy and cardiac ischemia/reperfusion.
- PKCθ Synergizes with TLR-Dependent TRAF6 Signaling Pathway to Upregulate MUC5AC Mucin via CARMA1.,
Jono H, Lim JH, Xu H, Li JD.,
PLoS One. 2012;7(1):e31049. Epub 2012 Jan 27.
- Activation of epidermal growth factor receptor is required for NTHi-induced NF-κB-dependent inflammation.,
Xu X, Steere RR, Fedorchuk CA, Pang J, Lee JY, Lim JH, Xu H, Pan ZK, Maggirwar SB, Li JD.,
PLoS One. 2011;6(11):e28216. Epub 2011 Nov 23.
- Metastatic endometrial stromal sarcoma of the lung: importance of immunohistochemical staining, clinical history and imaging studies., Mentrikoski MJ, Zhao C, Zhang J, Wang HL, McMahon LA, Yang Q, Li F, Xu H., Biotech Histochem. 2012 Jan;87(1):35-9. Epub 2011 Aug 15.
- Diagnostic utility of PAX8, TTF-1 and napsin A for discriminating metastatic carcinoma from primary adenocarcinoma of the lung., Ye J, Hameed O, Findeis-Hosey JJ, Fan L, Li F, McMahon LA, Yang Q, Wang HL, Xu H., Biotech Histochem. 2012 Jan;87(1):30-4. Epub 2011 Aug 15.
- Insulin-like growth factor II-messenger RNA-binding protein-3 and lung cancer.
Findeis-Hosey JJ, Xu H., Biotech Histochem. 2012 Jan;87(1):24-9. Epub 2011 Aug 15.
Haodong Xu , M.D., Ph.D
University of Rochester
School of Medicine and Dentistry
601 Elmwood Ave, Box 626
Rochester, New York 14642
Telephone: (585) 275-0857