Limitation of Housestaff Working Hours
New York State law requires limitation of working hours for all housestaff in the following ways:
- No intern will work more than 16 consecutive hours in direct patient care activities.
- No senior level resident will work more than 24 consecutive hours in direct patient care activities.
- No more than 80 work hours per week, averaged over each 4-week period.
- 24 duty-free hours during each work week.
- No house officer shall work more than 12 consecutive hours in the Emergency Department and must have ten hours free of duty before and after such an assignment.
- Residents must have 10 hours off after moonlighting and before returning to training program work