- Prospective Students
- Student Life
- Matriculating Students
- Visiting Students
- High School and Undergraduate Program
- Student Event Calendar
Medical Education Pathway
The purpose of the medical education pathway (MEP) is to prepare students to become academic medical educators with skills in teaching as well as a knowledge of educational theory.
Participation in the MEP provides students with the skills:
- Prepare and deliver a lecture to a large group
- Serve as a PBL tutor
- Lead a small group teaching session (laboratory, problem solving and/or clinical skills format)
- Write high quality learning objectives
- Write high quality exam questions in a number of formats
- Perform assessments and apply effective ways of giving feedback
- Critically evaluate the medical education literature.
Second year medical students or MD/PhD students with at least two years remaining in their program submit proposals and a teaching plan which are approved by their faculty mentor and relevant course directors. Students accepted into the MEP give two large group lectures and feedback is provided by the student audience as well as the course director, a member of the MEP committee, and their mentor(s). In addition, students conduct small group teaching and serve as PBL Tutors during their third and fourth years. MEP students also participate in faculty development workshops focusing on lecture skills, small group teaching, PBL tutoring, writing exam questions, assessment, and giving feedback. Participation in journal clubs and seminars fosters discussion about educational and learning theory and current issues in medical education.
Upon completion of the MEP, students receive a certificate and their participation is noted in their Dean’s Letter and on their transcripts.
- Must be in good academic standing with a minimum of two years remaining until your expected date of graduation.
- Must have consistently demonstrated professional behavior in the learning environment including regular attendance in class and compliance with evaluation requests.
Medical Education Pathway Preliminary Application
Please fill out our Preliminary Application
View the informational Medical Education Pathway Presentation 2013