LASIK and Advanced Vision Correction
Refractive Surgery Center
Imagine your life with less dependence on contacts or glasses.
Whether you want to see with your eyes open under water, fall asleep watching TV without worrying about taking off your glasses, or go for a jog in the rain, you wonder what it would be like to feel the freedom of not needing glasses or contact lenses to see clearly.
You want to be able to talk to a doctor about laser vision correction—a highly experienced doctor who makes you feel comfortable, who teaches you about your vision and helps you decide whether or not this is a safe procedure for you.
Welcome to the Flaum Eye Institute Refractive Surgery Center.
Here you will find a team of eye care professionals that is dedicated solely to laser and surgical vision correction. Highly specialized in the safety and effectiveness of these procedures, FEI's Refractive Surgery Center physicians and staff will ensure that you receive the best care and guidance available.
The Flaum Eye Institute at the University of Rochester Medical Center combines the premier clinical and research resources in laser and surgical vision correction to provide you with the most customized approach to evaluating and treating you and your vision.
Using Zyoptix, the Technolas Excimer Laser Workstation and the advanced "University of Rochester Nomogram" treatment planning software, Dr. Scott MacRae and the FEI team help approximately 99.3% of their patients with typical prescriptions to see 20/20 or better without glasses after laser vision correction surgery.
Fewer than 5% of patients who have surgery at the Refractive Surgery Center require retreatment to achieve the visual outcome that they desire. These outcomes are some of the best available in the world. Dr. MacRae achieves these results using specialized treatment formulas developed by the Flaum Eye Institute Refractive Surgery Center Data Analysis Team.
The University of Rochester Nomogram advanced treatment planning software (provisional patent filed) is currently being made available to other users of theTechnolas but was developed by Dr. MacRae here at the Flaum Eye Institute. It is the only LASIK treatment nomogram used in the United States that has been approved by the FDA.
Flaum Eye Institute Refractive Surgery Center Offers...
- The most advanced diagnostics including Zywave wavefront sensing technology to analyze all of your eyes' optical errors in ways never before possible. Wavefront sensing is the Refractive Surgery Center team's unique strength. They helped develop the technology with the University of Rochester’s Center for Visual Science. Working with Bausch & Lomb, Dr. MacRae and the FEI team have been world leaders applying this groundbreaking technology to laser vision correction.
- The best treatments available by one of the most experienced surgeons in the world. Dr. Scott MacRae has over 25 years of experience and has performed over 17,000 refractive surgical procedures. An internationally known educator and lecturer, he has trained hundreds of surgeons on how to perform laser vision correction. Leading doctors from around the world visit him to learn advanced techniques. Dr. MacRae is a leading researcher and innovator in the field of laser vision correction and customized ablation. In 2003, he received the Lans Award from the American Academy of Ophthalmology, given by an international group of his peers for excellence in the field of refractive surgery. Dr. MacRae has also authored the definitive text in customized ablation refractive surgery “Customized Corneal Ablation: The Quest for Super Vision” now out in its second volume, "Wavefront Customized Visual Correction: The Quest for Super Vision II." He was recently named one of the "Top 50 Opinion Leaders in Cataract and Refractive Surgery" as voted by the readers of the professional journal, Cataract and Refractive Surgery Today.
- One of the premier laser vision correction facilities featuring the Technolas Excimer Laser Workstation system the Orbscan II Corneal Analysis System, the Procyon SA2000 digital pupillometer, the excimer laser, and an expertly trained technical and patient education staff.
- The newest in vision correction surgery for highly nearsighted patients—the Verisyse Phakic Intraocular Lens Implant. This implantable lens can be used to treat extremely high degrees of myopia that are beyond the range of traditional laser vision correction. Dr. MacRae and the Refractive Surgery Center team performed the first Verisyse lens surgeries in Western New York. Dr. MacRae helped the manufacturer of Verisyse pass the rigorous FDA approval process.
- A new option for nearsighted patients with cataracts—The Crystalens® Intraocular Lens (IOL) implant is now available. This revolutionary lens not only restores distance vision after cataract surgery, but it also restores a level of functional intermediate and near vision. Dr. MacRae is one of the few surgeons in the area certified to implant these premium lenses during cataract surgery.