The Division of Diagnostic and Interventional Neuroradiology consists of four faculty members (three full-time and one part-time), five fellows and three researchers. We accept three new fellows per year and the fellows stay for a total of two years. The Division operates at The University of Rochester Medical Center at Strong Memorial Hospital, which is the major hospital in the region with approximately 750 beds. The full scope of diagnostic and interventional neuroradiology is practiced and below is a list of diagnostic and interventional procedures that we perform.
Besides the clinical mission, we have educational and research missions. The residents in radiology, other specialties, and the fellows in neuroradiology are trained in a rigorous, well structured program. Four dedicated conferences/lectures are given to the neuroradiology fellows every week and each of the attendings represent a different area of expertise.
Multiple lectures are given on a yearly basis. Several of these lectures are available on the web page under educational presentations.
The academic activity is illustrated by on-going text book project, journal publications and presentations at the American Society of Neuroradiology and Radiological Society of North America. The Division collaborates with fellow academic disciplines within the University of Rochester such as Neurosurgery, Neurology, Neuropathology, Ophthalmology, Otolaryngology, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Infectious Disease and many others.
We have an online web publication of interesting cases and 1-2 new cases are published every week. These cases are authored by residents and fellows in conjunction with attendings within the Division.
The Division operates three MR scanners, five CT scanners, and a biplane neuroangiography room. In addition, multiple RF rooms are used for spine diagnostic and interventional cases.
Diagnostic Neuroradiology Procedures
- Brain (Carotid) Angiogram
- Cervical Spine Biopsy
- CT Angiogram
- CT Guided Biopsy
- Functional MRI
- Intraoperative Angiography
- MR Angiogram
- MR Diffusion
- MR Imaging
- MR Imaging of the Fetus
- MR Perfusion
- MR Spectroscopy
- Myelogram & CT Myelogram
- Sacral Biopsy
- Skull Biopsy
- Spinal Angiogram
- Spine Biopsy
- TMJ Imaging
- 3D Reconstruction
- MR Safety
- Acute Stroke Treatment, Thrombolysis
- Balloon Occlusion of CC Fistula
- Celiac Ganglion Block
- Cervical Epidural Steroid Injection
- Coil Embolization of Aneurysm
- CT, Ultrasound, and Fluoroscopically Guided Biopsies
- Disc Aspiration and Abcess Drainage
- Embolization of Nosebleed
- Embolization of Vertebral Body
- Glue Embolization
- Intraarterial Chemotherapy of Tumors
- Intrathecal Chemotherapy
- Intracranial Angioplasty for Stenosis of Vasopasm
- Intra- and Extra-cranial Stent Placement
- Lumbar Drain
- Lumbar Epidural Injection
- Nerve Root Blocks
- Petrosal Sinus Sampling
- Preoperative Embolization of Head, Neck, and Cranial Tumors
- Pudendal Nerve Block
- Salivary Gland: Removal of Stone and Duct Dilation
- Epidural Blood Patch for Spinal Headache
- SI and Facet Joint Injection
- Superior Hypogastric Block
- Temporary Test Occlusion
- Thrombectomy for Acute Stroke
- WADA Test for Brain Function
Neuroradiology Patient Brochures
- Kyphoplasty & Vertebroplasty
- MR Imaging
- Pudendal Neuralgia
- TMJ: Temporomandibular Joint
Sven Ekholm, M.D., Ph.D.
Henry Z. Wang, M.D., Ph.D.
Jeevak Almast, M.D.
Ali H. Hussain, M.B.B. Ch., FRCR
Rajiv Mangla, M.B.B.S.
Stephen D'Ambrosio, M.R.P.A.
Iris H. Young, R.P.A.