Understanding of Hole and Excess-Electron Trapping and Detrapping by DNA
- Dr. Yuriy Razskazovskiy East Tennessee State University
The following hypotheses are being tested:
- Radical combination reactions, persisting hours after energy deposition at 4K, are propagated by tunneling.
- Thermally activated detrapping, of radicals stably trapped at 4K, is
gatedby reversible proton transfer.
- The activation energy for hole detrapping is substantially less than that for electron detrapping.
- The range of the electrons and holes is governed by a three dimensional walk, not a one-dimension walk as would be the case if electron/hole transfer is only between stacked bases.