Rheumatology Musculoskeletal Ultrasound Program
Dr. Ralf Thiele is specifically looking at using high frequency ultrasound, power doppler and 3D ultrasound to identify tophi in gout as well as synovitis and enthesitis in gout, RA and PsA.
Ultrasonography is now appreciated as a valuable tool for diagnosis, monitoring, and intervention in Rheumatology. We are routinely using ultrasound in our out-patient clinic for:
- Early detection of erosive disease
- Assessment of synovial tissue, effusions, treatment response and crystal arthropathy
- Detection of enthesitis in seronegative spondyloarthritis
- Needle guidance in aspiration, injection and biopsy
1. Thiele RG, Schlesinger N. Diagnosis of Gout by Ultrasound, Rheumatology 2007 46(7):1116-1121
2. Thiele R. Editorial: Doppler ultrasonography in rheumatology: adding color to the picture. J Rheumatol. 2008 Jan;35(1):8-10.
3. Thiele RG, Schlesinger N. Ultrasonography shows disappearance of monosodium urate crystal deposition on hyaline cartilage after sustained normouricemia is achieved Rheumatol Int. 2010 Feb;30(4):495-503
4. Thiele RG. Rheumatologic Applications of Musculoskeletal Ultrasound. Ultrasound Clinics, Elsevier, Nov. 2012
5. Thiele RG. Ultrasonography applications in diagnosis and management of early rheumatoid arthritis. Rheum Dis Clin North Am. 2012 May;38(2):
Ralf Thiele, M.D.
601 Elmwood Ave.
Rochester, Ny 14642