Funding for SMH clinical education programs comes from the New York/New Jersey AIDS Education and Training Center (NY/NJ AETC)
Through a grant made possible by Albany Medical College and funded by the New York/New Jersey AIDS Education and Training Center (NY/NJ AETC), Strong Memorial Hospital is one of four centers in Upstate New York that offers intense clinical training in HIV care for physicians, pharmacists, physician assistants, nurse practitioners and registered nurses.
Participants can earn up to 35 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits.
This intensive training program incorporates
- On-line education
- Self-instruction in the form of reading
- Preceptorships in medical and dental clinics
Requirements for participating:
- You must be a licensed physician, pharmacist, physician assistant, nurse practitioner, or registered nurse.
Dentists are directed to the Albany Medical College location.
- You must be licensed to practice in New York or New Jersey (or in the process of moving to New York or New Jersey to practice) and currently seeing patients.
If you do not meet these criteria, you may apply to a mini-residency program through another AETC. Visit www.aids-ed.org/ to establish a contact in your area.
In order to apply, you must submit:
- A copy of your medical license
- A copy of your CV
- A letter from your health care provider (within the last year) which documents your name, your immunity to rubella, and a recent PPD indicating either a negative or positive result. (If your PPD indicates a positive result, then include documentation that you have received treatment and are not contagious.)
- A cover letter explaining your interest in the miniresidency
In order to complete the miniresidency and receive CME, participants must submit a written evaluation of their training experience and a written evaluation of one HIV+ patient case history.
NOTE: NY/NJ AETC does not pay students for participating in this mini-residency.
- University of Rochester Medical Center–
- Thomas Della Porta: Thomas_DellaPorta@urmc.rochester.edu; (585) 275-7655, or
- Monica Barbosu: Monica_Barbosu@urmc.rochester.edu; (585) 276-5086
- Albany Medical Center – Cathryn Corlew: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Erie County Medical Center (Buffalo) – Mary Goodspeed: MaryGoods@cs.com
For more information, or to make an appointment, please contact us at