The Department of Microbiology & Immunology administers five educational programs:
Graduate students performing research in the Dewhurst Lab.
- Bachelors in Microbiology
- Masters in Microbiology and Immunology
- Masters in Immunology, Microbiology and Virology
- PhD in Immunology, Microbiology and Virology
- Post-baccalaureate Research Education Program
In their first year of graduate school, students rotate through three to four research labs. By the end of their first year, they select a faculty member for their thesis advisor and they devise a research topic for their Ph.D. thesis. Most coursework is completed by the first year; however, advanced courses in selected research areas are also available in subsequent years.
By the second year students focus on a research project, receive more advanced research training, assemble a thesis advisory committee and complete a qualifying exam.