The Association of Medical School Neuroscience Department Chairpersons (AMSNDC) is an organization dedicated to promoting neuroscience as a scientific discipline, and to representing the interests of departments within medical school settings whose major focus resides in research and training in the neural sciences.
Mission of the AMSNDC
- Establish a cooperative organization for the leaders of basic science departments in Schools of Medicine whose major mission includes the conduct of research and education in neuroscience.
- Implement regular communications (i.e. national meetings, web/internet mechanisms), utilized by the Chairs of participating departments as well as guests of the Association, in order to discuss and disseminate local and national policies, practices and activities relevant to the membership.
- Advocate the recognition of neuroscience-based departments as distinct entities within medical school organizational structures and for the provision of support and resources for their missions.
Goals of the AMSNDC
- Foster recognition of Neuroscience as a distinct academic unit within medical school organizational structures, including their identity in the analysis of national activities and trends.
- Promote and coordinate data collection, analysis, and exchange of relevant information between the AMSNDC, medical schools, and national organizations (e.g. NIH, NSF, NASA, AAMC, AMA, NCBBSC, CAS, private foundations and industry), and directly represent the membership in such organizations where appropriate.
- Provide a platform for the membership to identify and share emerging trends, policies and best practices relevant to improving successful leadership across member departments.