U.S. News Lauds Golisano Children's Hospital Orthopaedics Care
June 20, 2013
For the fifth consecutive year, Golisano Children’s Hospital’s orthopaedic specialists have earned a place among the Best Children’s Hospitals listing, according to U.S. News & World Report. Pediatric orthopaedics is the only service – adult or pediatric – at URMC to earn a Top 50 ranking for five years in a row.
In the recently released 2013-14 rankings, URMC’s Golisano Children’s Hospital scored 45th best in orthopaedics among 179 pediatric centers eligible for the rankings. Clinical research, ability to prevent surgical complications and overall infection prevention were among the factors making up 75 percent of the score, based mostly on data from a U.S. News survey of children's hospitals. The other 25 percent reflects how many of 450 pediatric orthopedists surveyed in 2011, 2012 and 2013 recommended the hospital. Golisano’s high quality was reflected in its near-perfect score in preventing surgical complications.
“URMC’s pediatric orthopaedic services exemplifies our system-wide focus on patient- and family-centered care and our deep commitment to achieving the best possible outcomes,” said Bradford C. Berk, M.D., Ph.D., URMC CEO. “I congratulate the faculty and staff throughout Golisano Children’s Hospital and the Department of Orthopaedics who consistently make this program one of the jewels of URMC.”
“The recognition would not be possible without all of the extraordinary support from the other high quality services including our excellent nurses, PICU, pediatric hospitalists, radiology, PT/OT, hospital administration and many others,” said pediatric orthopaedic surgeon James Sanders, M.D.
Golisano Children’s Hospital serves more than 74,000 children from the 17-county Finger Lakes region and beyond every year – both as inpatients and outpatients. It houses 132 beds and 34 pediatric specialties and subspecialties. In 2012, the hospital broke ground for a new, eight story, 245,000 square-foot hospital dedicated solely to the care of children.