Quick Facts About the URMC Surgery Center
- URMC partnered with local real estate developer Castle Office Group, LLC, to develop the 80,000-square-foot medical facility at 180 Sawgrass Drive, off Westfall Road in Brighton.
- URMC Surgery Center is upstate New York’s largest hospital-affiliated ambulatory surgery center, featuring 10 operating suites and three procedure rooms.
- URMC Surgery Center’s first floor includes 52,000 square feet devoted to patient care, including operating and procedures rooms, 43 private pre- and post-anesthesia cubicles, 10 post-anesthesia bays, a pharmacy, and facilities for sterile equipment processing.
- The Center’s second floor will be home to URMC’s Pain Treatment Center, opening August 3, the Division of Colorectal Surgery, opening in September, and the Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Endoscopy Center slated to open in January 2010.
- Michael Maloney, M.D., associate professor of Orthopaedics, serves as medical director of the Surgery Center. Janet Remizowski is the Center’s clinical director.
- First surgery cases at the new center are scheduled for August 10.
- URMC anticipates 8,500 procedures will be completed at the Center in its first year, including orthopaedic, otolaryngology and plastic surgery cases, as well as some colorectal procedures.
- By its third year, the Center’s capacity could reach 18,000 procedures annually.
- With 625-square-foot operating rooms and procedure rooms measuring 400 square feet, the Center’s facilities are nearly twice the size of their in-hospital counterparts.
- Operating rooms are equipped with the latest anesthesia, monitoring, and high-definition video devices that are boom-mounted on the ceiling, freeing up floor space for surgical staff and allowing for more efficient transitions between cases.
- Each OR is computerized for electronic medical records.
- One operating room is outfitted to videotape procedures for teaching purposes.
- Procedure rooms will accommodate cases that do not require general anesthesia, such as minor hand surgery. One procedure room is specifically equipped for colorectal procedures.
- The Center’s opening created 95 jobs, which will grow to 126 when the facility is at capacity.