Research Areas of Strength
- The University of Rochester has core research strengths in a number of multidisciplinary fields and has recently developed strategic plans highlighting research priorities for the Medical Center and the Arts, Sciences and Engineering.
- Several University of Rochester Medical Center departments rank among the nation’s top 10 in NIH funding; the School of Medicine and Dentistry ranks among the top 25 percent of medical schools in NIH research funding.
- The Medical Center has five major Integrated Disease Programs (IDPs), focusing research, teaching, and patient care services on the conditions that plague large segments of our population.
- Within the School of Medicine and Dentistry, four Innovative Science Programs (ISPs), which represent emerging research areas, will catalyze discoveries within the signature programs.
- The University of Rochester Clinical and Translational Science Institute is a national leader in the expanding field of clinical and translational research.
- Sciences and Engineering- A number of leading centers exemplify the University's research in the natural sciences and engineering.
- Laboratory for Laser Energetics- This research facility features the Omega—the world's most powerful ultraviolet laser.
- Biomedical Sciences- The University and its affiliates and partners carry on diverse programs in biomedical research, based in over a dozen centers.
The Office of Research and Project Administration performs a critical role in identifying funding opportunities and supporting grant administration.