PRINCIPAL RESEARCH INTERESTS
• Alzheimer's Disease and Neurodegenerative Disorders
• Brain Ischemia and Stroke
• Activated Protein C System in Brain
• Blood-Brain Barrier
HONORS AND AWARDS
• British Council Award for Medical Research 1988
• James Zumberg Innovation Award, University of So. California 1991
• Shannon Carreer Development Award, NIH 1991
• Herbert Jr Hoover Award for Medical Research, Los Angeles 1993
• Serbian National Academy of Sciences & Arts, Foreign Member 1997
• MERIT Award from the National Institute on Aging "in recognition of sustained contribution to aging and leadership and commitment to the field" 2004
• Dean's Professor – Distinguished Faculty University of Rochester 2005
• ISOA/Elan Award for "novel approaches to drug discovery for Alzheimer's disease" 2006
• MetLife Award for Medical Research for "significant contributions to our understanding of Alzheimer's disease and for brining us closer to a cure" 2006
• Javits Award National Institute on Neurological Disorders and Stroke for "distinguished record of substantial contributions in a field of neurological sciences" 2007
• Potamkin Prize from the American Academy of Neurology "in recognition of outstanding achievements in research on Alzheimer's and related neurodegenerative diseases" 2009
• McCune Award from the Alzheimer's Association Dallas Texas "which is given to a researcher who has made a difference in Alzheimer's disease" 2009
• Presidential Citation (University of Rochester) for "pioneering approach to Alzheimer's disease" 2009
NATIONAL LEADERSHIP POSITIONS, SOCIETIES AND BOARDS
• NIH Neuroscience Study Section NLS3/BDCN3, regular member 1995- 2000
• Chair NIH Study Section: Brain Disorders BDCN-3 2003
• Chair NIH Study Section: Cell Death and Injury in Chronic Neurodegeneration 2004-2005
• Chair NIH Study Section: Brain Injury and Neurovascular Pathologies 2005-2007
• NIH Distingusihed Neuroscience Editor for Challenging Grants 2009
• Editorial Board: Neurosurgery 1996-present
• Editorial Board: Neurobiology of Aging 2000-2005
• Ediotorial Board: Molecular Neurodegeneration, Associate Editor 2005-present
• Editor, Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews 2002
• Chair Keystone Meeting "Neuronal & Vascular Injury in Alzheimer's Disease" 2001
• Member, Society for Neurosciences (SFN) 1989- present
Chair SFN 2009 Symposium "The role of blood-brain barrier and non-neuronal cells in neurodegeneration"
PRINCIPAL PERVIOUS EMPLOYMENT
• Professor and Chief Division of Neurovascular Biology, Center for Aging and Developmental Biology, URMC, New York 2000-2004
• Professor of Neurological Surgery, Physiology & Biophysics, University of Southern California (USC) School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California (CA)1992-2000
• Associate Professor of Neurological Surgery, Physiology and Biophysics, USC School of Medicine, Los Anegles, CA 1989-1991
• Director, Laboratory for Neurological Surgery, USC School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA 1989-2000
CURRENT BIOTECHNOLOGY POSITIONS
• Scientific Director and Founder, Socratech L.L.C. (biotechnology company), 2000-present
• Scientific Director and Founder, ZZ Biotech L.L.C., 2007-present
Scientific Director and Founder, ZZ Alztech L.L.C., 2008-present
In his spare time, Zlokovic (Betza) enjoys swimming, tennis, reading and making breakfasts. He is trained as an opera bel canto singer (tenor) and continues to sing from a repertoire of opera classics; and loves relaxing with his wife Zora, an internationally acclaimed concert pianist, and daughter Anna.
Vates GE, Takano T, Zlokovic B, Nedergaard M. "Pericyte constriction after stroke: the jury is still out." Nature medicine. 2010 Sep 0; 16(9):959; author reply 960.
2010 Mar 4
Menon P, Deane R, Sagare A, Lane SM, Zarcone TJ, O'Dell MR, Yan C, Zlokovic BV, Berk BC. "Impaired spine formation and learning in GPCR kinase 2 interacting protein-1 (GIT1) knockout mice." Brain research. 2010 Mar 4; 1317:218-26. Epub 2010 Jan 04.
Petraglia AL, Marky AH, Walker C, Thiyagarajan M, Zlokovic BV. "Activated protein C is neuroprotective and mediates new blood vessel formation and neurogenesis after controlled cortical impact." Neurosurgery. 2010 Jan 0; 66(1):165-71; discussion 171-2.
Zhong Z, Ilieva H, Hallagan L, Bell R, Singh I, Paquette N, Thiyagarajan M, Deane R, Fernandez JA, Lane S, Zlokovic AB, Liu T, Griffin JH, Chow N, Castellino FJ, Stojanovic K, Cleveland DW, Zlokovic BV. "Activated protein C therapy slows ALS-like disease in mice by transcriptionally inhibiting SOD1 in motor neurons and microglia cells." The Journal of clinical investigation. 2009 Nov 0; 119(11):3437-49. Epub 2009 Oct 19.
Bell RD, Zlokovic BV. "Neurovascular mechanisms and blood-brain barrier disorder in Alzheimer's disease." Acta neuropathologica. 2009 Jul 0; 118(1):103-13. Epub 2009 Mar 25.