- 1994: MSc Degree in Biology awarded by the University of Navarra (Spain).
- 1996-2000: PhD Thesis. Estudio de las interacciones entre las proteínas implicadas en los procesos de replicación y transcripción del Virus Respiratorio Sincitial. Mentor: José Antonio Melero Fondevila. Research Center: Centro Nacional de Biología Fundamental, Instituto de Salud Carlos III. Madrid, Spain.
- 2000-2007: Post-doctoral fellow. Mentor: Dr. Adolfo García-Sastre. Research Center: Mount Sinai School of Medicine. Microbiology Department. 1 Gustave L. Levy Place, New York, NY, 10029.
- 2007 (January)-2008 (July): Research Assistant Professor.
Research Center: Mount Sinai School of Medicine. Microbiology Department. 1 Gustave L. Levy Place, New York, NY, 10029.
- 2008 (August)-present: Assistant Professor. Research Center: University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry. Department of Microbiology and Immunology. 601 Elmwood Avenue, Box 672, Rochester, NY, 14642.
- 2012 (January)-present: External Professor Universidad de Merida en Yucatan, Mexico.
My research interest for the last decade has been focused on the molecular biology, immunology, and pathogenesis of negative-strand (Influenza viruses, Respiratory Syncytial Virus, Human Metapneumovirus, arenavirus, Thogoto virus, Ebola virus, Crimean Congo Hemorrhagic Fever virus) and positive-strand (Dengue virus, SARS coronavirus, Mouse Hepatitis virus) RNA, and DNA viruses. I have extensive knowledge in reverse genetics techniques for rescuing RNA and DNA viruses, pioneered the development of techniques and screening assays to identify viral-encoded interferon antagonist proteins, and established new molecular biology techniques to study highly pathogenic viruses without the requirement of special biosafety conditions.
My major contributions to the virology field include the development of new experimental systems to answer difficult questions in the mechanisms of virus-host interactions, including: 1) Reverse genetics tools to genetically manipulate viruses, that I have used to examine virus-host interactions and development of vaccines; 2) Plasmid, virus and cellular based assays for the identification of virus-encoded IFN-antagonist proteins that I have used to uncover molecular mechanisms involved in viral pathogenesis, including the first description of an IFN antagonist protein in the arenavirus family and the multiple anti-IFN actions of influenza virus NS1; and 3) Single-cycle infectious influenza and arenaviruses to study highly pathogenic viruses, without the requirement of special biosafety conditions.
Since my recent appointment in the Department of Microbiology and Immunology at University of Rochester, one of the 5 NIAID Centers of Excellence for Influenza Research and Surveillance, my research has focused on the interactions of influenza and arenavirus proteins with the host cell. My experience in molecular biology, virus reverse genetics techniques, and virus-based bioassays to study the interferon response gives me the unique opportunity to carry out innovative and original research projects, the major objective of which is to shed light and understand the molecular determinants of patogenesis of influenza and arenaviruses and how these viruses interact with their hosts.
Domm W, Brewer M, Baker SF, Feng C, Martínez-Sobrido L, Treanor J, Dewhurst S. "Use of bacteriophage particles displaying influenza virus hemagglutinin for the detection of hemagglutination-inhibition antibodies." Journal of virological methods.. 2014 Mar; 197:47-50. Epub 2013 Dec 06.
Ortiz-Riaño E, Ngo N, Devito S, Eggink D, Munger J, Shaw ML, de la Torre JC, Martínez-Sobrido L. "Inhibition of arenavirus by A3, a pyrimidine biosynthesis inhibitor." Journal of virology.. 2014 Jan; 88(2):878-89. Epub 2013 Nov 06.
2013 Nov 15
Bauman JD, Patel D, Baker SF, Vijayan RS, Xiang A, Parhi AK, Martínez-Sobrido L, Lavoie EJ, Das K, Arnold E. "Crystallographic fragment screening and structure-based optimization yields a new class of influenza endonuclease inhibitors." ACS chemical biology. 2013 Nov 15; 8(11):2501-8. Epub 2013 Sep 13.
Baker SF, Guo H, Albrecht RA, García-Sastre A, Topham DJ, Martínez-Sobrido L. "Protection against lethal influenza with a viral mimic." Journal of virology.. 2013 Aug; 87(15):8591-605. Epub 2013 May 29.
Ortiz-Riaño E, Cheng BY, de la Torre JC, Martinez-Sobrido L. "Arenavirus reverse genetics for vaccine development." The Journal of general virology. 2013 Jun; 94(Pt 6):1175-88. Epub 2013 Jan 30.