Guaranteed MALDI Services
Our MALDI-TOF/TOF services guarantees positive protein identification results*. Samples that do not produce results will not be charged.
*Conditions of the guarantee:
- The protein band on the gel must stain strongly with Coomassie blue (> 300 ng).
- The band must be a single species and not part of a complex smear (like from a crude extract).
- The protein band must be cut out of an SDS-PAGE gel by a Proteomics core staff technician.
All three conditions below must be honored.
No charge for bands that do not yield protein identifications with significant Mascot scores.
- A > or equal to 300 ng band will yield at least two peptides with high quality MS/MS data.
- 1 microgram bands will produce superior results and coverage!
- The mass spectrometry data will be of publication quality.
Procedure for guaranteed service:
- Run your protein sample on SDS-PAGE and stain with Coomassie blue.
- Your protein of interest needs to resolve as a single-band and not as part of a smear.
- Load enough material for a strong Coomassie band (0.3 to 1 µg of protein in the band).
- Also, for a guarantee, you must load a second lane with a BSA protein standard (316ng per loading) provided by us (see lane 2, BSA marker, on Field Test page). We use this to validate loading and staining levels.
- Stain with Coomassie blue or SimplyBlue™ SafeStain (Invitrogen).
- Take a picture of your gel and indicate with a marker which bands you want identified.
- Bring the intact gel to the Rochester Proteomics Center Lab (rm. G-9828, 275-0769) to Kevin or Jenny for processing
- In other words, “do not cut out the band yourself, if you want guaranteed results!”
Turnaround time: 5 to10 working days.