Links to Substance Abuse and Alcohol Disorders Resources
Substance abuse and alcohol disorders are among the most common behavioral problems encountered by professionals. Rates of mood disorders, anxiety disorders, suicide, criminal behaviors and medical disorders among those with substance and alcohol disorders are much higher than in the general population. The medical, psychiatric and social complications of substance and alcohol disorders make them among the most costly to individuals, families and society. As these conditions have come to be viewed as medical rather than moral problems, research into the cause of the conditions has led to the development of effective medical and psychosocial treatments to treat withdrawal, craving, gain abstinence, reduce relapse rates and strategies to prevent the onset of these conditions in vulnerable individuals.
The websites offered here are selected as starting points for clinicians, patients and loved ones to learn more about substance use and alcohol disorders, research in the field and the best practices in treatment and support for those affected by the disorder.
We hope you will find this site a helpful gateway to the world of information about substance use and alcohol disorders available on the internet.
- APA Practice Guideline
- Practice Guideline Clearing House
- Practice Guideline Gateway
- National Institute of Mental Health Fact Sheet
- Diagnosis, Treatment, Research Gateway
- National Substance Abuse Research and Treatment Gateway
- National Substance Abuse Information Gateway
- National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Abuse Information
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
- New York State Office of Alcohol and Substance Abuse Services
- Alcoholics Anonymous
- Narcotics Anonymous
- Dual Diagnosis Advocacy Group