For Faculty

Appointments and Promotions

Please consult the SMD Regulations of the Faculty for information about:

  • An overview, including general principles and premises for our promotions and tenure system
  • Criteria for academic appointments, promotion, and tenure
  • Procedures for faculty appointments and promotions
  • Additional issues including appeals, compensation, vacation, consulting policy, racial and sexual harassment, and disability
  • A summary of time in rank guidelines
  • Guidelines with examples of application of the criteria for promotion
  • Curriculum vitae format 
  • Family leave policy & procedures for extending the 'academic clock'
  • Academic clock adjustment for part-time faculty

SMD Regulations of the Faculty

Academic Leaves (sabbaticals)

The Office of Academic Affairs will work with faculty members to prepare applications for the approval of the University Provost.

Please review the two forms below before you start preparing your proposal!

Academic Leaves guidelines

Application for Leave of Absence

All proposals are to be submitted electronically to Jeffrey M. Lyness, MD, Senior Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, either as a Word Document or electronically converted to a pdf (using “print to PDF” on a mac, or Adobe on Windows). Please do not simply scan your printed materials to a pdf, as doing so makes it impossible to select/copy text from the pdf.

Conflicts of Interest Policies and Resources

Links are provided to resources that you may find helpful regarding relationships with industry and management of financial disclosures and potential conflicts of interest.

The majority of relevant policies are available through the UR Office of Research and Project Administration.


URMC Reporting of financial disclosures (annual survey plus 30-day updates) is done through the following survey site.

FAQs About New COI Policies faq-coi.pdf

Other relevant policies of note

Faculty Focus

The Dean newsletter Faculty Focus contains news, information, and requests for faculty input from Dean Taubman and other URMC leaders. The latest issue and an archive of prior issues may be found at this link (note: you must be on the URMC Intranet to view this link) faculty-faculty-focus

Information and Resources for Departing Faculty

In the life of any academic institution, a small proportion of faculty members will depart for other opportunities each year. We hope the following resources will be of help to you if you are considering such a departure.

Are there any resources available to me regarding finding another job, or preparing my CV or job interview skills?

Yes, such resources are available on the web; useful links may be found on the website of our Office of Faculty Development here.

If I do decide to leave, how much lead time (advance notice) should I give?


In general, the more advance notice the better! The SMD Regulations of the Faculty ask that faculty give sufficient notice to ensure that her/his responsibilities can be properly covered after the faculty member leaves. The duration required varies by the type of faculty appointment. Please review the section of the SMD Regulations relevant to your appointment, and also please review the language in your initial job offer letter or any subsequent letters or contracts, which also may stipulate the advance notice period required.

What happens to my benefits when I leave?


Please discuss this directly with a representative from Human Resources, either your department-assigned HR Business Partner or HR Benefits Office personnel.

Will I get paid for my unused vacation time?


No, faculty are not entitled to a payout for unused vacation time.

Can I just use up my vacation time at the end of my employment, that is, stop working before the end of my employment at UR?


In general the answer to this question is no. Faculty may not use vacation time at the end of their employment unless they have the explicit permission of their department chair to do so.

What do I need to turn in before I leave?


Please review this with the appropriate administrative staff person in your department. This generally will include your UR ID card, keys, and any other UR-owned property (such as computers purchased with UR funds). For clinicians, this also includes any paper charts or other records kept on patients seen as part of your UR employment; you must return these before you depart.

Is there any kind of “exit interview”?


The answer is “yes, if you wish.” While the School does not formally require such an exit interview, you are welcome to contact either Dr. Jeffrey Lyness (Senior Associate Dean for Academic Affairs) or Dr. Linda Chaudron (Senior Associate Dean for Diversity) to set up an appointment for an exit interview; each of us have met with many departing faculty and are always interested in your appraisal of what we do well and what we can do better for our faculty and our institution. We also hope that you will take the chance to let your department chair, or other relevant supervisor or mentor, know your candid assessment of your work experiences at URMC.

What else do I need to do before I leave?


All faculty should discuss this with the appropriate administrative staff person in your department (ask your chair's office if you are uncertain who this is). All faculty must return their UR ID card, keys, and any other University-purchased or University-owned property, such as computers or technical equipment purchased with sponsored research funds. As well, discussions for all faculty should include consideration of the future plans for personnel in your area (staff, trainees, and faculty colleagues), and for your supervisory, teaching, and administrative roles. For clinicians, you must return any paper charts or other records kept on patients seen as part of your UR employment before you depart. For funded investigators, please work with the departmental administrator, chair or chair designee, ORPA-assigned administrator, and any funding agencies to plan for the timely close-out and subsequent transfer of grants or contracts, a process that may take several months. Other research-related issues may include coordination with your new institution of transfers of grants, the disposition of equipment, protocols,requirements, record retention, material transfer agreements, or intellectual property, and discussion with the RSRB and UCAR regarding human subject and animal use approvals/closeouts and the disposition of data deriving from human or animal research.