- Coordination of course schedules between different courses concurrently taught in the medical school. This role includes reserving appropriate rooms, facilities and other resources from the Office of Education Resources (OER), and formation of a master schedule for distribution (including via web-based methods such as Blackboard) to medical students, course directors, OME staff and faculty.
- Work with courses leaders and support staff to provide guidance in syllabi creation with each course/lecture/lab/PBL linking to the school’s educational objectives and the Domains of Excellence.
- Serving as the central area of expertise and coordination of the computerized examination software. OCA will be the primary coordinator for use of the software, providing primary support to faculty in the creation and management of online examinations.
- Monitor curricular time and prepare reports for the annual AAMC school report for this and other items related to the office of OCA.
- Establish and maintain a Curriculum Management System, generating reports and providing information to faculty and curriculum oversight bodies such as Instruction Committees and Curriculum Steering Committee.
- Provide support to Instruction Committees, coordinating and recording minutes for meetings and retreats.
- Serve as a liaison between course leaders and support staff to incorporate new technology into courses/clerkships. Coordinate educational projects such as digitally recorded PBL cases, physical examination tutorials, and other projects.
- Provide staff support to theme directors (except for Ethics and Law which currently has its own support staff).
- Support the development and implementation of innovative approaches to education by course and theme directors and other educational leaders.
- Lead creation and revision of evaluation tools for courses/clerkships and other educational programs.
- Manage, generate reports and train faculty and staff in the electronic evaluation system.
- OCA staff (primarily through the administrator) will provide primary support for Comprehensive Assessment (CA) faculty and program, interfacing with OER, IT and the Standardized Patient Program. This includes membership of OCA director(s) on CA design team. Similar interface will be expected of OCA support staff for OSCEs and other similar education/evaluation interventions.
- Create, distribute and analyze end of academic year evaluations by year. Generate annual reports on the findings from these annual evaluations.
- Edit, distribute and analyze surveys of program directors on graduate performance annually. Prepare reports of findings.
- Edit, distribute and analyze surveys of alumni on perceptions of school and education, annually. Prepare reports of findings.
- OCA will coordinate all course and clerkship evaluations including acquisition of data to be utilized, creation of review committee, chairing review committee meetings, preparation of final reports to course/clerkship director, reporting findings to the Curriculum Steering Committee and delivering verbal feedback to course/clerkship director.
- OCA staff will organize focus groups as an additional education evaluation tool.
- Support the evaluation of curricular innovations and other new educational initiatives by assisting in development and implementation of evaluation tools.
- Develop evaluation tools to evaluate current and new educational programs/interventions/innovations that will facilitate scholarly reporting of education program changes and work with faculty in the creation of scholarly work reporting findings.
- Office of OCA will coordinate all URSMD submissions to AAMC annual meeting and regional meetings in discussion with the Associate Dean for Undergraduate Medical Education.
- Seek opportunities for outside funding for educational research projects and collaborations with other institutions.
Representation of OCA in the School of Medicine and Dentistry
- Directors of OCA will be ad hoc members of the Curriculum Steering Committee.
- Directors of OCA will be ad hoc members of the Year 1 and 2 and Year 3 and 4 Instruction Committees, attending meetings, providing expertise and presenting periodic reports on work of OCA.
- Directors of OCA will participate in regional and national meetings in the areas related to curriculum, evaluation, and research.
- Director of OCA—Curriculum will be primary representative of URSMD at 13 School Consortium meetings, Director of OCA—Evaluation/Research will be secondary representative.
- OCA Directors will participate in periodic overall curriculum reviews as required by the LCME.