The HLA Laboratory at the University of Rochester is a full-service histocompatibility lab testing for organ and tissue transplantation programs, disease association, drug sensitivity testing and vaccine eligibility screening.
The lab performs HLA typing, antibody testing and crossmatching at multiple levels of resolution that can be tailored to meet the needs of clients. The lab also performs cytokine testing by Luminex® (current analytes: IL-2 and IFN-g) for clinical trials.
Myra Coppage, Ph.D., Lab Director is board certified in diagnostic immunology (HCLD/ABB), is an accreditation commissioner for the American Society for Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics (ASHI) and is a consultant in HLA typing. Angela Busacco, Lab Supervisor, is board certified in histocompatibility (CHS/ABHI).
The laboratory is accredited by ASHI as well as the College of American Pathologists and New York State. It is the only such laboratory in the Rochester area.
Our technologists are on call 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.
Services We Provide
- Serological level screening
- Low resolution (antigen level) by reverse SSO Luminex®
- High resolution (allele level) by SSP
HLA Antibody Testing:
- Cytotoxicity Assay
- Solid phase (Luminex®)
- Crossmatching by CDC and flow cytometry
- HLA-B27 Ankylosing spondylitis
- DQ2 Celiac
- DRB1*5701 Abacavir sensitivity
Other single antigen assays may be ordered upon consultation with our Laboratory Director. We are happy to work with doctors to ensure that appropriate testing is requested.
Consultants in HLA Typing:
- Myra Coppage, Ph.D., Lab Director
- Angela Busacco, Lab Supervisor
- For more information or to request services, please call us at (585) 275-0985.