Professor and Chair of the Department of Biostatistics and Computational Biology
2002 - 2008
Obituary Notices for Dr. Yakovlev
Dr. Yakovlev earned an MD from the First Leningrad Medical School, a PhD in biology from the Pavlov Institute of Physiology of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR, and a doctorate of science (D.Sc.) in mathematics from Moscow State University. In Russia, he served as the Head of the Department of Biomathematics at the Central Research Institute of Radiology (1978-1988) and later as the Chairman of the Department of Applied Mathematics at St. Petersburg State Technical University (1988-1992). From 1996 to 2002, he served as the Director of Biostatistics at Huntsman Cancer Institute, University of Utah.
He was a visiting professor in Australia, France, Germany, and the United States. In the U.S., he taught probability and mathematical statistics at the University of California, Santa Barbara, and the Ohio State University.
Among awards and fellowships Dr. Yakovlev was awarded are the Yvette Mayent Cancer Research Fellowship in France (1993), the Alexander von Humboldt Research Award in Germany (1994), John Simon Guggenheim Fellowship (1999), and the Distinguished Scholarly and Creative Research Award of the University of Utah (2002). He also received an Honorary Doctor of Science degree from the Idaho State University in 2002.
Dr. Yakovlev was a Member of the Russian Academy of Natural Sciences (1992), a Fellow of the Council of Fellows of the Collegium Ramazzini (1992), an elected member of the European Study Group for Cell Proliferation (1992), an elected member of the European Society for Mathematical and Theoretical Biology (1995), a Fellow of the Association of Fellows of the International Union Against Cancer (1995), a Fellow of the Institute of Mathematical Statistics (1998) and the American Statistical Association (2000), and an elected member of the International Statistical Institute (2002).
- Qiu, X., Klebanov, L. and Yakovlev, A. (2005). Correlation Between Gene Expression Levels and Limitations of the Empirical Bayes Methodology in Microarray Data Analysis (Technical Report 05/03, published in Statistical Applications in Genetics and Molecular Biology).
- Qiu, X., Klebanov, L. and Yakovlev, A. (2005). The Effects of Normalization on the Correlation Structure of Microarray Data. (Technical Report 05/04, published in BMC Bioinformatics).
- Yakovlev, A. and Yanev, N. (2005). Branching Stochastic Processes with Immigration in Analysis of Renewing Cell Populations. (Technical Report 05/05).
- Klebanov, L. and Yakovlev, A. (2005). A New Approach to Testing for Sufficient Follow-up in Cure-Rate Analysis. (Technical Report 05/06). (This paper to appear soon in Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference).
- Klebanov, L., Gordon, A., Xiao, Y., Land, H. and Yakovlev, A. (2005). A Permutation Test Motivated by Microarray Data Analysis. (Technical Report 05/08, published in Computational Statistics & Data Analysis).
- Qiu, X., Xiao, Y., Gordon, A. and Yakovlev, A. (2005). Assessing Stability of Gene Selection in Microarray Data Analysis (Technical Report 05/10, published in BMC Bioinformatics).
- Klebanov, L., Jordan, C. and Yakovlev, A. (2005). A New Type of Stochastic Dependence Revealed in Gene Expression Data (Technical Report 05/11, published in Statistical Applications in Genetics and Molecular Biology).
- Chen, L., Klebanov, L. and Yakovlev, A. (2005). Normality of Gene Expression Revisited (Technical Report 05/14).
- Xiao, Y., Gordon, A., and Yakovlev, A. (2006). The L1-version of the Cramér-von Mises Test for Two-Sample Comparisons in Microarray Data Analysis (Technical Report 06/02).
- Qiu, X. and Yakovlev, A. (2006). Instability of False Discovery Rate Estimation (Technical Report 06/03).
- Xiao, Y., Gordon, A., and Yakovlev, A. (2006). C++ Package for the Cramér-von Mises Two-Sample Test.(Technical Report 06/04).
- Klebanov, L. and Yakovlev, A. (2006). Treating Expression Levels of Different Genes as a Sample in Microarray Data Analysis: Is it Worth a Risk? (Technical Report 06/05. Published in Statistical Applications in Genetics and Molecular Biology.)
- Yakovlev, A. and Yanev, N. (2006). Age and Residual Lifetime Distributions for Branching Processes. (Technical Report 06/07, to be published in Statistics and Probability Letters.)
- Klebanov, L. and Yakovlev, A. (2008). A Nitty-Gritty Aspect of Correlation and Network Inference from Gene Expression Data (Technical Report 08/01).
- Yakovlev, A.Y. and Zorin, A.V. (1988). Computer Simulation in Cell Radiobiology, Series "Lecture Notes in Biomathematics", vol. 74. Berlin-Heidelberg-NewYork: Springer-Verlag.
- Yakovlev, A.Y. and Yanev, N.M. (1989). Transient Processes in Cell Proliferation Kinetics, Series "Lecture Notes in Biomathematics", vol. 82. Berlin-Heidelberg-New York: Springer-Verlag.
- Hanin, L.G., Pavlova L.V., and Yakovlev, A.Y. (1994). Biomathematical Problems in Optimization of Cancer Radiotherapy. Florida, USA: CRC Press.
- Tyurin, Y. N., Yakovlev, A., Shi, J., and Bass, L. (1995). Testing a model of aging in animal experiments. Biometrics 51: 363-372.
- Tsodikov, A.D., Asselain, B., Fourquet, A., Hoang T., and Yakovlev, A.Y. (1995). Discrete strategies of cancer post-treatment surveillance. Estimation and optimization problems. Biometrics 51: 437-447.
- Yakovlev, A.Y. and Tsodikov, A.D. (1996). Stochastic Models of Tumor Latency and Their Biostatistical Applications. Singapore: World Scientific Publ.
- Yakovlev, A.Y., Hanin, L.G., Rachev, S.T., and Tsodikov, A.D. (1996). A distribution of tumor size at detection and its limiting form. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 93: 6671-6675.
- Hanin, L.G., Klebanov, L.B., and Yakovlev, A.Y. (1996). Randomized multihit models and their identification. Journal of Applied Probability 33: 458-471.
- Yakovlev, A.Y. and Polig, E. (1996). A diversity of responses displayed by a stochastic model of radiation carcinogenesis allowing for cell death. Mathematical Biosciences 132: 1-33.
- Boucher, K. and Yakovlev, A.Y. (1997). Estimating the probability of initiated cell death prior to tumor induction. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 94: 12776-12779.
- Hanin, L.G., Rachev, S.T., Tsodikov, A.D., and Yakovlev, A.Y. (1997). A stochastic model of carcinogenesis & tumor size at detection. Advances in Applied Probability 29: 607-628.
- Tsodikov, A.D., Asselain, B., and Yakovlev, A.Y. (1997). A distribution of tumor size at detection: An application to breast cancer data. Biometrics 53: 1495-1502.
- Yakovlev, A.Y., Boucher, K., Mayer-Proschel, M., and Noble, M. (1998). Quantitative insight into proliferation and differentiation of oligodendrocyte type 2 astrocyte progenitor cells in vitro. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 95: 14164-14167.
- Yakovlev, A. Y., Boucher, K., and DiSario, J. (1999). Modeling insight into spontaneous regression of tumors. Mathematical Biosciences 155: 45-60.
- Szabo, A., Boucher, K., Carroll, W.L., Klebanov, L.B., Tsodikov, A.D., and Yakovlev, A.Y. (2002). Variable selection and pattern recognition with gene expression data generated by the microarray technology. Mathematical Biosciences 176: 71-98.
- Gordon, A., Glazko, G., Qiu, X., and Yakovlev, A. (2007). Control of the mean number of false discoveries, Bonferroni and stability of multiple testing. The Annals of Applied Statistics 1:179-190.