Grilled Peaches and Plums
Grilling fruit caramelizes its natural sugars, intensifying the flavor and sweetness, and provides a golden brown color. In addition to peaches and plums, fruits that hold up to grilling include: apricots, figs, pineapple and mango. The end product is very versatile and can be used as a breakfast, dessert or in a salad, depending on the toppings that you select. Suggested toppings include yogurt, mascarpone cheese, honey, balsamic glaze, toasted nuts, mint or ginger.
Here are some quick tips to get you started:
- Ideal fruits for the grill are nicely ripe but still firm. Overripe fruits may fall apart with heat, and under-ripe fruits won’t develop proper flavor. Leave the skin on to help hold the shape of the fruit.
- Most stone fruits should be halved by first cutting through the stem end until you feel the pit, then moving your knife all the way around the fruit. Put your knife down, twist the two halves gently apart, and you should be able to lift the pit out easily.
- If an outdoor grill is not available, you can prepare on a stovetop grill pan or under the broiler. If using a grill pan you’ll most likely need to increase the cooking time slightly, and under the broiler you’ll probably have to decrease it slightly to avoid charring.
- 2 fresh peaches, halved (peel on), recommend “freestone” variety for easier pit removal
- 4 fresh plums, halved (peel on)
- 1 Tbsp canola oil or olive oil
- Preheat grill on high. Reduce heat to medium.
- Gently mix peach and plum halves with oil until evenly coated in a medium bowl.
- Place nonstick foil on grill grate; arrange fruit on foil. Start with peaches as they will take longer to cook.
- Sear peaches, cut side down, 4-5 min, until slightly browned. Flip and continue cooking until fork tender (3-5 additional minutes). Cooking time with vary depending on the thickness of the fruit pieces.
- Once the peaches are flipped, put the plums on the grill. Sear, cut side down, for 3-4 minutes or until slightly browned. Flip and continue cooking until fork tender.
- Remove from grill. Place in individual serving dishes. Finish with your favorite toppings.