Wheat Berry Salad with Watermelon and Arugula
An intriguing combination of sweet watermelon and tangy arugula makes for a refreshing summer salad! The cucumber slices and sunflower seeds add crunch, and it is finished with fresh mint. Wheat berries provide a nutty flavor and chewy texture, but other whole grains can be used to make this salad -- try quinoa, farro or brown rice.
- 1 ½ cups cooked wheat berries (about ½ cup dry)
- 1 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded and sliced
- 1 ½ cups seedless watermelon, cut into ¼” dice
- 2 cups arugula
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 2 Tbsp toasted sunflower seeds
- ½ cup feta cheese, crumbled (optional)
- 1 ½ Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp white balsamic vinegar (can substitute white wine vinegar)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- To prepare dressing: whisk together olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Put cooked wheat berries in a large serving bowl. Pour dressing over the wheat berries; toss to coat.
- Add prepared cucumber, watermelon, arugula, and mint. Stir gently to combine.
- Sprinkle with sunflower seeds and feta cheese, if using.