This take on the classic Italian soup is simple. The kidney beans add healthy amount of fiber and the tomatoes and tomato paste have plenty of lycopene, an antioxidant that research has shown has many benefits for our health. If you don’t want to buy pre-made vegetable stock at the store, try this stock recipe.
- ½ cup carrot, medium dice
- ½ cup onion, small dice
- ½ cup celery, small dice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 can (15 oz) red kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- ¾ cup crushed tomatoes
- ¼ cup tomato puree
- 4 cup stock
- 1 cup spinach
- Coat a medium sized pot over medium heat with oil.
- Saute carrots, onions, celery and garlic for 2-3 minutes or until a fond begins to form.
- Add in Italian seasoning, beans and crushed tomatoes, sauté 2-3 minutes more.
- Deglaze pan with tomato puree and stock. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Add spinach and simmer 5 minutes more.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Molly Miles |