Sweet Potato Gnocchi
Traditional gnocchi is made using potatoes, but using sweet potatoes and ricotta cheese creates a delicious combination with fewer carbohydrates. Perfect with a sweet drizzle, such as maple syrup or honey.
- 2 pounds sweet potato
2/3 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 1 ¼ cup All Purpose Flour, and a little extra for sprinkling when kneading
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Peel the sweet potatoes, then pierce them with a fork. Add a small amount (maybe ¼-½ cup) to either the bottom of the pan or in a ramekin to add moisture. Cover the pan with tin foil. Bake until the sweet potatoes are fork tender and fully cooked. Cool slightly, then cut in half and scoop the flesh into a bowl.
- Mash the potatoes with either a fork or hand mixer to create a puree consistency. Using a measuring cup, measure the amount of sweet potato puree. This should make about 2 cups.
- In the mixing bowl, add the ricotta, salt and pepper to the sweet potatoes and mix well.
- Add the flour a ½ cup at a time until a soft, flexible dough forms.
- Bring a large pot of salted water (~1 teaspoon salt) to a boil.
- Lightly flour a work surface, and knead the dough to create a smooth, consistent texture.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces. Cover 3 of the 4 pieces with plastic wrap to keep from drying out.
- Roll out the 4th piece into a long rope about 1 inch in diameter.
- Cut the rope into 1 inch pieces to create “pillows” or squares of dough. Using a fork, roll each square over the prongs to create divots within the dough. Toss the formed gnocchi in a small amount of flour to ensure they do not stick together.
- Repeat steps 8 and 9 for the remaining 3 pieces of dough.
- Add the gnocchi to the boiling water in small batches. Be sure not to over-crowd the pot too much or the gnocchi will not have enough space to cook.
- The gnocchi will float to the top of the water when they are done cooking! Using a small strainer or slotted spoon, remove the gnocchi from the pot and place into a bowl.
- Drizzle with honey or maple syrup and sprinkle cinnamon on top. Toss and enjoy!