Bella’s Carrot, Orange and Fennel Soup
A colorful and bright soup that’s perfect for a spring meal! This dish would also pair well with eggs on a brunch menu. Top with cashew cream for richness and garnish with fennel fronds for great eye appeal.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fennel
- 1/4 tsp salt, divided
- 1 1/2 lb carrots, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 3/4 tsp orange zest
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground allspice
- Pinch red pepper flakes, optional
- 4 cups vegetable broth, preferably low sodium
- 1/2 Tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp maple syrup
- Heat the olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat, then add the onion, fennel, and a pinch of salt and sauté until golden, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the carrots, orange zest, cumin, cinnamon, allspice, red pepper flakes (if using), and 1/8 teaspoon of salt and sauté until well combined. Pour in 1⁄2 cup of the broth and cook until the liquid is reduced by half.
- Add the remaining broth and another 1/8 teaspoon salt and cook until the carrots are tender, about 15 minutes.
- With an immersion blender, puree the soup until very smooth. If needed, add additional liquid to reach the desired thickness.
- Once the soup is pureed, stir in the orange juice, lemon juice and maple syrup. Adjust seasonings to taste. Serve garnished with a drizzle of Cashew Cream (recipe below) and fennel fronds.
This is a great way to add richness and flavor to dishes. It makes a wonderful topping for fruit desserts, plain yogurt or you can add to a smoothie. You can also make with other types of nuts such as pistachios, walnuts or almonds.
- 1 cup raw, unsalted cashews
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp freshly squeezed orange juice (or lemon juice)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- Grind the cashews in a mini food processor or nut grinder to give them a head start in the blender. (If you have a Vitamix, you can skip this step.)
- Put the water in a blender, then add the orange juice, salt, nutmeg, and cashews and blend until creamy smooth.
- Let is set for 2-3 minutes and blend again until smooth.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. The cream will thicken once chilled.