Ginger Spiced Granola
Make a batch of this wholesome and versatile cereal to get your family through the week. It makes a great topping for fresh fruit and yogurt, as well as a delicious cereal served with your favorite milk. You can substitute different nuts, dried fruits to make endless variations of this recipe!
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (not instant)
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts, any variety
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cardamon
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 orange, zested
- 1/2 cup chopped dried fruit, any variety
- 1 Tbsp crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 300° F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Zest and juice the orange.
- In a large bowl, combine rolled oats, millet (or buckwheat grouts), sesame seeds, chopped nuts, cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom. (Note: the dried fruit and crystallized ginger are added after baking the granola)
- In a small bowl, mix together the maple syrup, orange juice and orange zest. Pour over the dry ingredients and stir well until evenly coated.
- Spread the mix out in a single layer onto prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until golden brown. Stir every 10 minutes.
- Remove the granola from oven and cool slightly. Transfer to large bowl. Stir in the dried fruit and crystallized ginger and cool completely.
Store in an airtight container for 7-10 days.