Strawberry Rhubarb Compote
Rhubarb is available locally in early spring. The reddish stalks are edible and are often paired with sweeter fruits to balance their tartness. Rhubarb is also high in pectin, a type of soluble fiber, which makes a “jam-like” consistency when cooked. Because of this quality, it is often used in compotes or baked desserts. This compote can be served with yogurt, oatmeal or grilled chicken.
- 1 cup rhubarb, ¼” dice (about 4 oz)
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries, sliced (can use frozen)
- 3/4 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1/4 tsp lemon juice
- In a small saucepan, combine diced rhubarb, maple syrup and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Add the diced strawberries and grated ginger. Stir to combine.
- Continue to simmer for 5-8 minutes until rhubarb is tender. Stir in lemon juice.
Heather Deal |