Zucchini and Summer Agrodolce
Agrodolce in Italian means sweet and sour – and that’s what this dish is. It’s a tasty way to use up your extra zucchini or summer squash, two veggies that come loaded with fiber and nutrients but not many calories.
- 2lbs Zucchini
- 2lbs Summer Squash
- 1 cup Red wine vinegar
- 1 cup Sugar
- 5 Tbs Olive oil
- 3 Tbs Mint
- 3 Tbs Basil
- 1 Tbs Parsley
- 3 Garlic cloves
- 1 Tbs Red chili flake
- Cut zucchini and squash in long slices 1/8 of and inch thick.
- Sprinkle salt over zucchini and squash and place in colander in sink for 20 minutes. Pat dry.
- Heat 4 Tbs olive oil in sauté pan to medium-high heat and lightly brown vegetables in batches.
- Place zucchini and squash in shallow bowl.
- In a separate pan, heat olive oil to medium high heat. Cool garlic in pan until golden brown.
- Add vinegar and sugar. Bring to boil. Add red chili flake. Check seasoning.
- Add basil and mint.
- Pour mixture over zucchini and squash. Let rest for 30 minute.
- Finish with parsley. Can be eaten then or hold until the next day.
Heather Deal |