Shaved Celery Root, Fennel & Apple Salad w/ Manchego and Marcona Almonds
This isn’t your typical tossed salad! Celery root and fennel add crunch to this salad while apple adds a little sweetness. All come packed with fiber, vitamins and minerals. The manchego and marcona almonds on top add a special touch.
- 1 Large Fennel Bulb (trimmed)
1 Large Celery Root (cleaned)
- 1/2 Red Onion (sliced thin on mandoline)
- 2 Apples (sliced thin on mandoline)
- 2 Bunches Baby Kale
- 6 oz Hard Manchego Cheese
- 3/4 Cup Marcona Almonds
Salt & Pepper
- 2 Tbsp Chopped Parsley
- Apple Cider Vinaigrette (follows)
- Oregano Black Pepper Oil (follows)
- Slice celery root and fennel bulb paper thin with a sharp knife or mandoline.
- In a mixing bowl, combine fennel, onions, celery root, apple, and kale.
- Dress with apple cider vinaigrette. Salt, pepper, and parsley to taste.
- Divide over four plates and shave long chards of manchego over salad.
- Finish with oregano pepper oil and almonds.
Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- 1 Cup Apple Cider (reduced by half and cooled)
- 1/4 Cup Cider Vinegar
- 1 Shallot (minced)
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 3/4 Cup Canola Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Add cider, vinegar, shallot, and thyme into a small mixing bowl.
- Slowly whisk oil into mixture. Salt and pepper to taste.
Oregano Black Pepper Oil
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Oregano Leaves
- 2 Tbsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
- In a blender, mix all ingredients until smooth.
Chef Tim Caschette of Avvino in Rochester, New York