Student Tutorial: An Introduction to Fetal Heart Rate Monitoring
PeriFACTS® has developed an online tutorial that introduces students to the basics of fetal heart rate monitoring interpretation.
Since 1991, one of our goals has been to encourage communication and use of the same terminology among obstetric care providers.
We currently use the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development's (NICHD) nomenclature for fetal heart rate interpretation.
Who Gets it and What Does it Cost?
This program is being offered only to Nursing School Instructors and Students for $19.95 per person for access to the program for 1 year.
Upon completion of the periFACTS® Student Tutorial, the learner will be able to:
- Describe components of a fetal heart rate (FHR) tracing.
- Determine the FHR baseline.
- Describe periodic and non-periodic FHR changes as they relate to accelerations and decelerations.
- Describe FHR variability.
- List the characteristics of uterine activity.
- Identify early, late, and variable decelerations and explain their physiologic causes.
- Describe appropriate interventions for FHR tracings.
The Student Learning Tutorial is presented as follows:
"I certainly appreciate this cutting edge program for students, given faculty load for teaching. Also, having the student PeriFACTS® program and support staff has helped me feel confident in students' foundational fetal monitoring skills and ability to pass NCLEX in that area."
Professor Joanne Stevens, Ph.D., R.N., SUNY Brockport
- Introduction to Fetal Heart Rate Monitoring
- Determining Fetal Heart Rate Baseline
- Baseline Fetal Heart Rate Variability
- Causes of Fetal Heart Rate Changes
- Uterine Contractions/Intrauterine Pressure Catheter
- Fetal Heart Rate Decelerations—Early, Late, and Variables
- Interpreting the Fetal Heart Rate Tracing—What is Your Next Step?
It is recommended that students review the materials in the order shown, as each topic builds from the previous topic.
"This was an invaluable learning tool. I am pleased to have it offered. I will use this program again in the Fall 2008 semester."
Professor Debra Franklin, R.N.C. Ohlone Community College
The Review Test reviews the information found in the reading materials and requires students to interpret fetal heart rate tracings. After completing and submitting the test, a printable grade is displayed immediately, as well as explanations for the answers.
To Sign Up or Learn More
Visit our online store to learn more and to sign up here.