Early Stage Faculty Boot Camp
Registration is now open until September 1, 2017
Faculty Boot Camp Registration
September 25 – 29, 2017, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
The Early Stage Faculty Boot Camp is a week-long course designed to help senior instructors and assistant professors identify the skills they need for more successful career advancement.
Course Directors: Ronnie Guillet, MD, PhD; Robert Holloway, MD, MPH; Janine Shapiro, MD
Course content includes:
- Framing your career
- Academic career planning
- Identifying a mentor, being a mentee, separating
- Promotion and tenure
- Examples of successful careers as a basic science researcher, clinical researcher, educator
- Formulating research questions, research design
- Working with a statistician more efficiently (concurrent sessions focused on basic science research and clinical research/quality)
- Database development and management
- Publishing your work
- Discussion with journal editors
- Local resources available to foster career development
- Wellness and work-life balance
- For researchers
- Understanding the NIH grant review process
- For educators
- Teaching strategies
- Advancing your career as an educator
- Transforming your educational activities into scholarship
- Development of an educator’s portfolio
The format will be an all-day, week-long course, allowing for continuity and focus and fostering networking among faculty members. We ask each participant to commit to attending all sessions. Certificates of attendance will be provided to the participants upon completion of evaluation forms, both at the end of the week and 6 months later so we can assess the impact and continue to improve the curriculum for subsequent years.
There is no charge for URSMD faculty members.
Space is limited and will be on a first-come-first-served basis.
Co-sponsored by the Clinical and Translational Science Institute and The Office for Faculty Development
For questions regarding the course, please contact Ronnie Guillet, MD