Healthcare-Associated Infections (HAI) and Antimicrobial Use Prevalence Survey
The primary objectives of the HAI/antimicrobial use prevalence survey effort are to:
- Estimate HAI prevalence in a large sample of inpatients in U.S. acute healthcare facilities
- Determine the distribution of HAI by pathogen (including antimicrobial-resistant pathogens) and major infection site
- Estimate the prevalence and describe the rationale for antimicrobial use in a large sample of inpatients in U.S. acute healthcare facilities.
Goals and Objectives
- Estimate of the prevalence of HAIs aggregated across participating hospitals, and distribution of HAIs by major infection site and pathogens (including antimicrobial-resistant pathogens).
- Estimate of the prevalence of antimicrobial use (expressed as percentage of total inpatients receiving an antimicrobial agent) aggregated across participating hospitals.
- Estimate of the distribution of antimicrobial use by drug type, rationale and therapeutic site.