Faculty Development Grants in Medical Education
A pilot program to support faculty development in medical education at all levels.
Faculty Development grants are awards given to faculty who develop and implement projects that will improve their scholarship and/or enable them to gain knowledge or skills beyond the normal growth expected of faculty in order to improve medical education teaching. This educational project can address issues related to teaching, assessment, program development or professional development.
Applications for the 2012 Grant Program are closed.
Click here to view the 2012 Application in MS Word format
Click here to view the 2012 Application in Adobe Acrobat
Congratulations to the 2012 Faculty Development Grant Recipients!
Jacob Moalem , MD
Assistant Professor, Department of Surgery and Endocrinology
PROJECT: To assess and then augment student and resident knowledge of, and interest in, political advocacy.
Michelle Shayne , MD, FACP
Assistant Professor, Department of Medicine - Hemotology/Oncology
PROJECT: The development of survivorship quality care plans.
Click here to view past Faculty Development Grant Recipients.
The grant should be used to support projects that are beyond the scope of a department's budget to provide faculty development in medical education. Faculty Development grants are limited to a maximum of $4,000 per faculty member and all money must be spent within one year of the award. All unused funds will revert to the faculty development grant fund.
The number of grants awarded is contingent upon the committee's recommendation and available funds; however it is expected that 2-3 grants will be awarded per academic year.
Applications are reviewed based on the following:
- Contribution to the career development of the applicant.
- Contribution to fellow faculty.
- Departmental/Institutional impact and implementation once the grant has ended.
- A final report on the use of the funds is required at the end of the grant.
- Participation as a workshop and/or poster presentation at the Annual Faculty Development Colloquium held in June.
- Dissemination of information through a lecture/workshop at the departmental and/or institutional level (e.g. Faculty Development Workshop/Lecture, Grand Rounds).
All University of Rochester School of Medicine & Dentistry faculty at the Senior Instructor through Associate Professor level, who have teaching responsibilities, are eligible to apply.
Funding possibilities for Faculty Development grants could include, but are not limited to:
- Purchase of curriculum or educational materials or equipment that will be used in an on-going departmental faculty development program.
- Travel expenses to attend a medical education or educational conference, workshop, or training program related to medical education. It will be important that the application show how this training will provide a continuing improvement in medical education faculty development at the departmental or institutional level.
- Others ideas related to improving the dissemination of information associated with the improvement of medical education at all levels. This could include support for a visiting professor, but the plan on how this will provide a continuing faculty development effort must be included in the application.
The Office for Faculty Development
Phone: 276-3782 Fax: 276-1208