The program draws upon the strengths of the University of Rochester Medical Center. URMC is a tertiary referral center that draws patients with a very broad spectrum of diseases from the immediate area as well as surrounding counties. It is the home of not only outstanding clinicians but also outstanding scientists, many of whom are national experts in their field. In addition, URMC has been named a World Allergy Organization Center of Excellence. As a WAO Center, both the Medical Center and the Division will heighten the development and implementation of multi-disciplinary scientific and clinical research, education, and training in allergy, asthma and clinical immunology.
The Allergy/Immunology program includes:
- World Allergy Organization Center of Excelence
- Community-based ambulatory clinics
- Rotations in Pediatric allergy, Pediatric pulmonary, Dermatology, Otolaryngology
- Inter-departmental collaboration in teaching, conferences and research
- Mentored research in basic, clinical and translational research with protected blocks of time
- The opportunity for combined training with Rheumatology
One of the nation's top academic medical centers, the University of Rochester Medical Center forms the centerpiece of the University's health research, teaching, patient care and community outreach missions. Over the last five years, the UR School of Medicine and Dentistry has received almost $1.3 billion in total research funding. The School ranks in the top quartile of U.S. academic medical centers in research funding from the National Institutes of Health, attracting nearly three times the federal funding received by the medical schools in Albany, Syracuse and Buffalo combined.
The University's health care delivery network– UR Medicine – is anchored by Strong Memorial Hospital - an 800-bed, University-owned teaching hospital which boasts specialty programs that consistently rank among the best in the nation according to US News & World Report. At URMC, our robust teaching and research programs transform the patient experience with fresh ideas and approaches steeped in disciplined science. Here, care is delivered by health care professionals who innovate, take intelligent risks, and care deeply about the lives they touch.
Did You Know...?
- A host of lifesaving adult and childhood vaccines - including ones that prevent bacterial childhood meningitis, deadly pneumonias, shingles, and cervical cancer - have been developed and/or tested by URMC scientists.
- The University of Rochester Medical Center was one of the first 12 to receive a $40 million Clinical and Translational Science Award from the National Institutes of Health.
- For the last 12 years, the University has been listed among the top 15 institutions in the country in royalty revenue from our licensed technologies.
- In the past 15 years, more than 24 new companies have been formed with URMC technologies.