Clinical Rotations and Sites
UR Medicine - Mental Health & Wellness
Rochester Psychiatric Center
Our fellows rotate on two inpatient units, an 11-bed Geriatric Psychiatry Unit at Strong Memorial Hospital and the Psychiatric Rehabilitation Program Geriatric Unit of the Rochester Psychiatric Center (RPC), a New York State hospital that focuses on rehabilitative care as part of a transition to community or longer term residential care settings, including nursing homes.
As a fellow, you’ll work with medical students, residents and nursing students while leading a multidisciplinary team. In addition to completing an Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT) rotation, you’ll manage patients receiving ECT on the 3-9200 unit at Strong Memorial Hospital.
The UR Medicine psychiatry consultation service to the general hospital enables our fellows to evaluate and manage psychiatric disorders in medically ill elders.
UR Medicine’s Strong Memorial Hospital has a unique Medicine in Psychiatry unit that cares for medically admitted and behaviorally complex patients who are managed by the primary medical team and the psychiatric consultation service.
In addition to inpatient services at Strong Memorial Hospital, consultations are conducted in various settings including:
- In-person consultations at regional nursing homes.
- Telepsychiatry consultations in nursing homes and other hospitals throughout New York.
Our fellows also have the opportunity to participate in Project ECHO®, which uses web-based videoconferencing technologies to offer medical care teams knowledge, decision support and multidisciplinary mental health consultation services through UR Medicine.
Ambulatory and Clinical Rotations
All of our fellows rotate through UR Medicine’s Older Adult Services at Science Parkway, a geriatric psychiatry clinic. This year-long continuity clinic provides the opportunity to work with individual and group therapists in the only clinic of its kind in Upstate New York.
Rotations may also include:
Monroe Community Hospital
- UR Medicine’s Memory Care Program.
- Geriatric medicine, neurology and physical medicine and rehabilitation at UR Medicine and Monroe Community Hospital.
- Our nationally recognized palliative care service, which provides invaluable supervised experience working with chronically ill and dying patients as well as their families.
- Innovative community-based aging services that allow our fellows to join multidisciplinary aging services providers to evaluate and develop integrated treatment plans for older adults who might not otherwise receive specialty mental health care.
Geriatric Forensic Specialty Track
As home to both Geriatric Psychiatry and Forensic Psychiatry Fellowship Programs, our Department of Psychiatry is pleased to offer a unique opportunity to integrate geriatrics and forensics – and there are numerous opportunities for collaboration.
Areas of overlap include capacity evaluations in many settings and testimony in court hearings for guardianship and competency. As a fellow, you’ll complete one year each of geriatric and forensic psychiatry fellowships with additional experiences tailored to your interests. At the end of two years of fellowship training, you’ll be eligible to sit for both ABPN Subspecialty Boards.
To be considered for this track, candidates must be accepted into both the Geriatric and the Forensic Psychiatry Fellowship Programs.