What do you think of when you hear Rochester, New York? For many, the first thing that comes to mind is snow. But Rochester is so much more.
- A day’s drive from New York City, and located within a 400-mile radius of 14 northeastern states, Washington, D.C., and two of the most populated Canadian provinces.
- Boasts scenic geography including Lake Ontario (one of the fresh-water Great Lakes), Genesee River with its gorges and waterfalls, Irondequoit Bay, countless scenic streams and waterfalls, and the nearby Finger Lakes region.
- Also known as “Young Lion of the West”, the “Flour City”, and the “Flower City”.
- Pioneer in photography, xerography, and optics, and a leader in manufacturing/research.
Source: Visit Rochester
Rochester's Top Ten Points of Interest
- The Lilac Festival – oldest and largest annual event of its kind in North America that showcases over 500 varieties of lilacs.
- Wegmans – family-owned regional supermarket chain that has appeared on Fortune magazine’s annual “100 Best Companies to Work For” list since 1998.
- Garbage Plate – created at Nick Tahou Hots’ fast-food restaurant that includes just about everything the kitchen cooks.
- Xerox Rochester International Jazz Festival – one of the largest jazz festivals in America.
- Golfing mecca – PGA and LPGA tournaments at Oak Hill Country Club and Locust Hill are part of the over 80+courses in the area.
- Erie Canal – linked Lake Erie to the Hudson River and an enormous engineering achievement at the time, was referred to as the Eighth Wonder of the World.
- Strong National Museum of Play – nation’s second-largest children’s museum that houses the National Toy Hall of Fame.
- George Eastman Museum – the world’s oldest photography museum.
- Garth Fagan Dance national dance company founded by Garth Fagan that incorporates elements of modern dance, ballet, afro-Caribbean dance, and social dance.
- Eastman School of Music – established by George Eastman, founder of Eastman Kodak Company, is one of the nation’s leaders in musical composition, performance, and education.
Want more information?
URMC Multimedia Tour of Rochester College Town