Diversity and Inclusion are core values at the University of Rochester Medical Center (URMC). Our vision is to cultivate a diverse and inclusive environment that guides and transforms our approaches to healthcare, education, research and community partnerships.
The Department of Neurology has instituted a Diversity Council that meets quarterly to work on initiatives aimed at improving diversity in the field of Neurology, ensure equitable treatment of all people and to create a culture that intentionally includes all voices.
Gender Disparities in Neurology.
- The Department of Neurology is committed to salary transparency and tracks involvement by women faculty in research, education and promotions.
A culture of mentorship and leadership training.
- We have created programs within the department to address potential “under-mentoring” of women and those historically underrepresented in Medicine (URM) through local and national mentorship and leadership programs for housestaff and faculty.
Create an ongoing dialogue regarding inclusion, diversity and equity.
- We engage our department in continuous discussions on implicit bias, diversity and inclusion in academia.
Developing a diverse pipeline for Neurology.
- Our faculty mentor women and underrepresented students at each level of their education.
- UR PreDoc Program: Repairing the Leaky Pipeline - Dr. Robert Thompson Stone, recipient of the University Inclusive Climate Leadership Fellowship has created a longitudinal program to promote exposure and interest in academic medicine for high school and college-level students from backgrounds that are historically underrepresented.