The University of Rochester is considered one of the top and one of the most attractive Neurology residency programs in the nation. The following points contribute to this reputation:
- The breadth and depth of the faculty, including many internationally recognized teacher-clinicians and clinician-researchers.
- The UR Department of Neurology has been recognized by the US News & World Report as one of the nation’s best neurology departments in the United States for the past seven years, and is currently ranked as #39.
- The UR Adult Neurology Residency Program is currently ranked #10 by reputation by the Doximity residency navigator.
- Consistently ranking as one of the top five neurology departments in the United States for extramural research funding from the National Institutes of Health.
- The Department serves as the coordination center for many large multicenter therapeutic trials in neurology.
- The wide spectrum of neurological disorders seen, encompassing a tertiary care teaching hospital and a primary care community hospital.
- Superb teaching by full-time academic clinicians.
- A close-knit, friendly, "family" atmosphere among faculty and residents.
- Very reasonable hospital "night call" responsibilities for residents, including a night float to cover overnight calls.
- Significant longitudinal and block ambulatory neurology experience in all four years of the residency, including a resident clinic, a faculty practice group, and subspecialty clinics.
- The large amount of elective time available, allowing residents to develop very individualized educational programs.
- A fully integrated PGY-1 year in the Strong Memorial Hospital Internal Medicine Program, with a longitudinal outpatient experience in the Neurology Resident Clinic.
- The presence of Internal Medicine, Psychiatry and Anesthesiology interns on the inpatient Neurology Service at Strong Memorial Hospital to lessen routine patient care burdens and provide teaching opportunities.
- The affordable and high-quality lifestyle provided by the City of Rochester and surrounding suburbs
- Robust international electives, including a four-week teaching elective at Jagiellonian University in Krakow, Poland, for PGY-4 residents