The University of Rochester is considered one of the top and one of the most attractive Neurology residency programs in the nation. The following points contribute to this reputation:
- The breadth and depth of our faculty, including many internationally renowned teacher-clinicians and clinician-researchers.
- The Department has been consistently recognized for excellence by U.S. News & World Report, currently rated a high performing hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, and URMC is ranked #1 in the Rochester area.
- The UR Adult Neurology Program is highly regarded, currently ranked #12 by reputation by the Doximity residency navigator.
- UR consistently ranks as one of the top ten Neurology departments in the U.S. for extramural research funding from the National Institutes of Health.
- Our department serves as the coordination center for many large, multicenter clinical trials in Neurology.
- The broad spectrum of neurological conditions seen in a diverse patient population, encompassing a tertiary care teaching hospital and an affiliated community care hospital.
- Continual expansion of department-wide initiatives in enhancing diversity, quality and patient safety, and provider wellness.
- Superb teaching by full-time academic clinicians from all major subspecialties in Neurology.
- A close knit, friendly, “family” atmosphere among faculty, residents, fellows, and staff.
- Reasonable “in-house call” responsibilities for residents, including a night float rotation.
- Extensive longitudinal and block ambulatory Neurology experiences, including a resident continuity clinic, faculty practice group, and subspecialty clinics.
- Generous elective time to allow residents to develop individualized educational experiences.
- A fully integrated PGY-1 year in the Strong Memorial Hospital Internal Medicine Program, which enables residents to begin their Neurology continuity clinic in the first year of training.
- Robust mentoring programs to cultivate research interests and scholarly endeavors, and to guide career development at all levels of training.
- Unique international electives, highlighted by a four-week teaching elective at Jagiellonian University in Krakow, Poland for PGY-4 residents.