Skip to main content


URMC / Encyclopedia / Content

What Do You Know About Household Poisons?

Hair spray, vitamins, antifreeze, pet products, house paint. These and other common items found in any home are useful when used correctly. But in the wrong hands, they can be deadly. Learn more about how to keep your home safe from accidental poisoning by taking this quiz, based in part on information from the American Association of Poison Control Centers (AAPCC).

1. Only household products with the word "poison" on the label are dangerous.
2. Teach your children never to eat mushrooms they find growing in the yard.
3. A multivitamin that contains iron can be deadly to a young child.
4. Carbon monoxide poisoning can be deadly, but you can avoid it by watching for the telltale color of the gas.
5. You should keep the phone number for your poison control center posted near or programmed into your phone.
6. Although syrup of ipecac was once a staple of home first aid kits, it is no longer recommended as an emergency treatment for accidental poisoning.

Medical Reviewers:

  • Fraser, Marianne, MSN, RN
  • MMI board-certified, academically affiliated clinician