Test Your Savvy on … Childhood Obesity
Determine if the following statements are true or false. The correct answers appear
1. Over the past four decades, the childhood obesity rate has more than doubled.
2. Type 2 diabetes, previously seen mostly in adults, is increasingly common among children.
Experts believe childhood obesity is the cause.
3. The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) recommends doctors conduct obesity
screenings for children and teens ages 6 and older.
4. To help your child manage his or her weight, focus on providing nutritious meals and
snacks and teaching healthy food choices.
1. False. The childhood obesity rate has more than tripled.
2. True. Your child is considered obese if he or she has a body mass index in the 95th percentile
3. True. The USPSTF also notes that doctors should offer behavioral interventions as necessary.
4. True. For example, limit soda and sugary fruit drinks and provide skim milk or water instead.