Elemental Analysis Facility
The mission of the EXPAND Elemental Analysis Facility is to support the Environmental Health Sciences Center community in high sensitivity elemental analyses of biological matrices. The facility aims to meet the needs of EHSC investigators for defining elemental composition of environmental exposure mediums and resultant tissue disposition after exposure.
Analytical services are strongest for transition elements, with emphasis on toxic metals.
- Consultation on experimental design and data analysis with experienced staff in elemental analysis of essential and toxic elements.
- Sample preparation and digestion for various tissues and biological matrices.
- Surveying of elemental composition of biological samples.
- High sensitivity element concentration determinations in biological samples.
- Various protocols for biological and non-biological sample preparation for downstream elemental analyses (e.g. acid, base and microwave digestion).
- Element quantification spanning the ppm-ppt limits of detection (LOD).
- Single element and simultaneous multi-element analyses (e.g. up to 10 elements routinely).
- Multiple methodologies for Hg analyses with ppt limits of detection (LOD).
- Chromatographic separation of complex mixtures and organo-metal speciation (e.g. GC and LC separations systems)