Our History 1955-1969 1956 Highland Hospital School of Nursing receives full accreditation from the National League for Nursing. 1957 Emergency Department and Nurses' lounge and lockers are funded by a gift from the Ford Foundation. 1959 Staff house and rear parking lot are constructed. 1960 Addition is made to the Nurses' Residence. 1961 New 11-bed Intensive Care Unit opens. 1964 Mary Louise Kelly leaves Highland funds from her estate, used for equipment and furnishings in the Radiology Department. April 4-10 is Diamond Jubilee Week, celebrated with an Open House, Ball, Nurses' Day, Tea, and other festivities. The first Medical Explorer Unit (Boy Scouts of America) in Monroe County is sponsored by Highland Medical Staff. 1966 Radiation Therapy Department becomes operational with cobalt gamma rays being used as a course of treatment, opening new frontiers against disease. 1967 Charles P. Schlegel bequeaths his home on South Avenue to the hospital. Highland opens its Family Medicine program, the first such program in the state and third of its kind in the country. 1968 Highland becomes a major teaching affiliate of the University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry. Title is granted by the American Medical Association upon the recommendation of the University of Rochester.