Patient Safety a Priority at Highland Hospital as a High Reliability Organization
At the end of last year Highland Hospital welcomed Steve Kreiser, Partner, Healthcare Performance Improvement, Press Ganey Strategic Consulting, for a special Patient Safety Grand Rounds. The national speaker and expert on improving human performance in the health care environment showed us how we can apply High Reliability principles toward consistent excellence in the health care environment to reduce risk while improving patient care.
The principles outlined below have become part of our culture and help us honor our commitment to zero patient harm, delivering on our promise of high quality, patient and family centered care.
- Continually thinking of the ways our work processes might break down
- Avoiding simple explanations for problems
- Being constantly aware of how processes and systems affect our organization
- Listening to those with the most knowledge, regardless of position
- Developing resilience – being prepared in how to respond to failures and continually find new solutions.
Zero harm is a high aspiration, but when we focus on safety, quality, and collaboration, we are truly headed in that direction and offering our patients and their families the best care possible.